Us Now

Thursday, September 13, 2012

In need of a reminder...

Today was one of those days when I needed to look back on some of my old posts to remind myself that motherhood is in fact enjoyable.  Because if you asked me an hour ago, I wouldn't have responded positively...

The day began as picture day at school, so I expected a few extra phone calls from home this morning.  7:36: "What am I doing about her hair?" "Pigtails with pink bows." "Just the two? Ok, cool."  That was easy, I reflect to myself.  7:42. "Is she wearing the sweater, or just the shirt?" "Just the shirt." "And is he wearing the khaki or blue shorts? Am I fixing his hair, too? With what?" "Yes, there's gel on the counter.  I left both shorts out so you could choose." "I don't care! Blue. Gotta go, he needs a drink." 8:36:  They're in the car heading to school.  "He hates these shoes. He keeps taking them off." "Yeah, I know, but they match the outfit. Did you bring another pair for him to play in?" "No! How was I supposed to know that?" "I put his sandals on the dresser, too." "Well I didn't know that was why." "Oh well, just tell them he can play in socks today." "Okay, gotta go; B-I-N-G-O is on, it's time to sing." (Did you know that they have pandora stations that only play different varieties of B-I-N-G-O?  It's true. A dream come true, for our kids, apparently.) 



 


 After work, I rush away from the day job and clock into motherhood.  Arrive at school to two happy kids running toward me and ready to race down the stairs.  We're going to a playdate at my girlfriend's house, who has 2 kids; both almost exactly one year younger than each of mine.  When it's time to eat pizza (Bryson's favorite food), he climbs on the chair excitedly.  I lay a towel on the chair to prevent messes, and the wails begin. He doesn't want to sit on a towel. So my friend gets four more, and before you know it, we're all sitting on towels. Except for Bryson. "Nice try, lady, but it ain't gonna fly" I hear the thoughts in his head respond.  The wails continued for the majority of our 'playdate' until he couldn't take it anymore.  And he ate!  Two hours (and only 30 mins of play) later, the tearducts open up again, and we call it a night. Not a successful one, but it's a wrap. 

Brooklyn noticed that I was sad on the drive home.  "Mommy, don't be upset.  I want you to be happy all the time. (that's her new thing: sometimes or all the time)  When we get done driving, do you want to go to our house and play in my bedroom? We can pick out jackets. Would you like one, or would you like two?"  "I would like one, please."  "Okay. Would you like Wednesday or Friday?" "Um, Thursday, please." "Okay, another day is Tuesday.  We will play for five minutes and then two minutes, and I will make you happy, mommy."  Her sweet, grammatically correct and intelligent, rambling is music to my ears every single day.

So we came home, kissed bubba goodnight, ate another apple, some yogurt, and cherry tomatoes. And.We.Played. In her room. Just like she promised! A great ending to an evening that I thought I wanted to erase. Although, not completely...I'd really just prefer a re-do card, please.

My dear baby boy, I love you with all of my being, but you weren't very much fun tonight, bubba. I think I'll sneak a kiss in your sleep tonight when you're peaceful and precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment